The recent authorisation of the COVID-19 vaccine brings hope of a virus-free life in the New Year, but how likely is the return to normality in 2021?
Author: Gosia Urbacz
Articles for ScienceOwl
Researchers have found that critical and severe COVID-19 patients have a highly impaired interferon response, which encourages a persistent blood viral load and heightened inflammatory response. This phenotype is now said to be associated with a poor prognosis.
The 2020 Nobel Prize in Chemistry was awarded to Emmanuelle Charpentier and Jennifer Doudna for their discovery and development of a novel method of genome editing. But what exactly is CRISPR-Cas9 and how does it work?
Highly aggressive cancer cells spread throughout the body using an array of sophisticated mechanisms. Researchers have now discovered a new promoter of metastasis which lies in a core neural signalling pathway.
Researchers at the University of Louvain de Duve Institute have successfully managed to defuse a molecule in the body which blocks the ability of the immune system to attack cancer.
Researchers have demonstrated that single gene manipulation in female Aedes aegypti mosquitos is able to convert them into nonbiting males
Researchers have established the cause of a worsening immune system with increasing age and demonstrated this can be halted using a novel therapeutic approach
Researchers from the University of California have discovered that inhibition of the PTB gene in mice converts neural support cells into dopamine-producing neurones.
Scientists from Tokyo University have synthesised a fungal molecule which is able to induce cell death in aggressive cancers
High levels of radical oxygen species (ROS) have been linked to diseases including cancer, Parkinson’s disease and myocardial infarction. Research has shown that the other side of the spectrum, too many antioxidants, can be just as bad for the health of your heart.
- The spread and pathology of COVID-19. North Wing Magazine. 19 June 2020.
- Platelet Problems in Cystic Fibrosis. From Atoms to Zoology. 3 May 2020.
- 5G network does not cause COVID-19, at all, not even slightly. Forge Press. 1 May 2020.
- A heart attack on a chip? Forge Press. 20 April 2020
- Microbes in your blood could be the tell-tale of cancer. Forge Press. 13 April 2020
- Is it possible to create immunity against the new coronavirus? Science just said yes. Forge Press. 23 March 2020.
- Ebola is helping scientists tackle brain cancer. Forge Press. 15 March 2020